Contentful provides content infrastructure for digital teams to power websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enables developers and content creators to ship their products faster. Companies including Spotify, Red Bull, WeWork, Lyft, and Urban Outfitters rely on Contentful to manage content as part of their modern web stack.
Contentful is growing rapidly, backed by $80 million in funding from VC firms including Benchmark and General Catalyst, and strategic investors including Sapphire Ventures (SAP) and Salesforce Ventures.
We’re a fun team of more than 200 people from 44 nations, with offices in Berlin and San Francisco. Join us!
Contentful is seeking an experienced and highly motivated, self-starter attorney to lead Contentful’s growing global Go-To-Market (“GTM”) commercial legal team. Reporting directly to the Chief Legal Officer, this attorney will build and lead Contentful’s GTM legal team, a team responsible for negotiating Contentful’s sales, partnership and vendor transactions and providing legal support to Contentful’s sales and partnership teams. This GTM legal leader will be a player coach and guide contracts through review, negotiation and execution.
This role requires 15+ years of experience focused on commercial law with at least five years in a corporate legal department. Minimum of 5 years of leadership experience in building, managing and developing high-performing teams.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Overall responsibility for Contentful’s commercial legal work, including partnering with key leaders on their go-to-market strategy and planning
- Recruit strategically, lead, and manage the team to scale globally and align with the expanding sales and partnership organizations
- Create and manage education, information, and training programs for the sales organization on negotiation best practices and on relevant legal issues
- Advise internal clients regarding legal issues, including identifying, managing, and communicating risks and opportunities in commercial transactions
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Contentful’s business teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes
- Ability to provide practical legal advice to business personnel at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated experience negotiating complex commercial transactions, with issues related to data protection, security and intellectual property
- Experience with transactions involving SaaS
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Working understanding of business models, sales motion, global commercial negotiation practices and revenue recognition standards
- A confirmed ability to effectively influence, lead, collaborate with and motivate others at all levels
- Strong team, business, project and people management skills
- Exceptional business negotiation skills and effective client counseling skills
- Ability to solve complex problems while balancing legal risks with business needs
- High personal standards of excellence and ethics, as well as the ability to act with discretion, strict confidentiality and sensitivity towards issues and individuals
- Innate curiosity, desire and ability to learn rapidly, resiliency and comfort serving as trusted business partner
- Team player who is willing to pitch in wherever needed
- Ability to quickly and accurately to recognize areas of risk/opportunity
- Excellent communication skills, both speaking and writing
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Well-organized and able to work on tight timelines while handling multiple projects
- Works well with both legal and business personnel
- License to practice law in the State of California (registered in house counsel is acceptable)
- Minimum of 15 years of experience focused on commercial law
- Minimum of 5 years of people leadership experience in building, running and/or developing high-performing teams required; preference for having managed global teams of 10+ professionals
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Join an innovative, fast-growing tech company as we help drive the evolution of digital experiences to become ever-more ubiquitous and interactive
- Shape the future of Contentful: help us establish, scale, and improve our team's processes
- Travel to Berlin, Germany, at the heart of Europe, both for onboarding and for other visits to Contentful’s Berlin office
- Work in our beautiful downtown space close to Embarcadero Station, complete with a fully stocked kitchen
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Commuter benefits to help you get to and from work
- An unlimited time off policy that rivals the best in Silicon Valley
- Pick and use the tools you feel comfortable with, both hardware and software
- A generous education budget to support your continued professional development, and extra days off to be spent on learning and development
- Relocation budget to support your move to San Francisco and assistance to help you settle down in your new city
- Plus, Contentful socks, oh yeah!
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, veteran status or disability. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We look forward to your application!