At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $107M to date.
About the Opportunity
Our Support Forum Team works in partnership with the Helpdesk team to get all of our customers the help they need! We answer customer questions, create content, and remove roadblocks to help our customers succeed. We also route information we get from customers back to product and engineering teams to help our products be the best they can be.
Netlify is looking to hire our first Associate Support Community Moderator to assist the existing teams in managing a successful and vibrant support forum for our customers. Your day to day will be varied, and tasks will include answering questions in our forums, moderating conversations with our customers, content creation, and engaging with on social media. This role exposes you to our world-class platform, our second-to-none team, and offers many opportunities to grow into a career in Support, Documentation, Product, Marketing, or Developer Experience.
What you'll bring:
- A history of working in writing, communications, customer support or customer service, with strong customer service and mediation skills
- A breadth of experience in internet technologies, for example through coursework, code school, or being self-taught
- Some high-level exposure to social media, and can connect with audiences via social posts, email newsletters, and Twitter
- A high level of comfort with technical problem solving, technical troubleshooting
- A good sense of listening to customer needs, and good intuition around how to resolve sometimes complex issues
- The ability to lead by example: Seeks to understand through active listening and questioning, actively address problems, and assume responsibility for your work
- Strong written and oral communication in English. Additional languages are a plus
Our ideal teammate has a cross-functional background that incorporates writing or content creation, social media campaigns or work in online communities, as well as some technical expertise. Strong written English is a must, as is the ability to learn quickly and communicate with a wide variety of people from different backgrounds and technical levels. With our team, you'll also be required to read and absorb large amounts of technical content on a daily basis. You'll need to be a flexible thinker who can balance short term and long term goals. You will also need a strong technical curiosity, and the desire to problem-solve. In addition, we require the ability to connect with a variety of audiences on social media, and a knack for creating content that fills knowledge gaps that you'll help identify.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Understand how we manage the inflow of questions and the information architecture in our forums
- Complete relevant parts of the Support Engineer onboarding curriculum
- Spend time in our forums to learn how answer basic questions about our platform and who to escalate questions to
- Gain insight into which content we have and use to support our customers
- Deepen your understanding of internet technologies and how Netlify's platform works
- Begin crafting an effective remote work strategy in tandem with the team
- Attend all relevant meetings and get an in depth understanding of life at a fast paced internet startup with a world class support forum
- Gain an understanding of the company as a whole and understand our goals as an Engineering team
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Level up to which questions you can answer in our forums
- Gain an innate understanding of how to communicate and treat customers of all levels and how to escalate issues
- Start outlining where the gaps are in our social media for our forums
- Gain a deeper understanding of the company's structure and the platform
- Refine your effective remote work strategy
- Gain an understanding of how we create content and which content we are missing
- Begin to define how you can contribute to our overarching goals as part of Engineering and as a Company
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Answer questions and moderate our forums with less supervision
- Actively carrying out your first social media campaigns, writing blog articles and creating content you've identified will resonate with our customers
- Actively participate in relevant meetings
- Participate in new-hire trainings to get others up to speed
- Work to identify and onboard community members into volunteers
- Continue to refine and evolve your remote work strategy
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Help design strategies to increase efficacy of the forums and reduce the amount of time Support Engineers spend in our forums
- Gain technical knowledge on par with a Junior Support Engineer
- Answer questions independently with minimal supervision, actively moderate and appropriately engage with customers
- Develop an in-depth insight into how our forums are connected to the wider community
- Create content and carry out social media campaigns with minimal supervision
- Work with the team to refine metrics goals, and create & carry out initiatives to help meet those goals
- Work on Community building events with various other company teams, such as Marketing, DX, and others
- Gain deep insight into our platform, company structure and overarching goals
- Champion the voice of the customer and provide feedback, reducing friction for customers and/or internal Netlify teams.
How to Apply
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include:
- A cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position, and why you would make a good addition to our team.
- In addition to a cover letter, please submit a writing sample that allows our team to understand your approach to explaining or solving a problem. The goal of the writing sample will be to show the hiring team your written communication abilities and how you approach solving problems. The topic is of your choosing.
- A resume or short listing of job history. (Alternatively, you can include a link to your LinkedIn profile in your cover letter.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we'll get back to you about next steps. Please note, preference will be given to applicants who are based in North American timezones or very western Europe. If you are based outside of those timezones, please describe your ability to timeshift in your cover letter.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—pairing, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco. To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.