Location: Remote in New Zealand, or PST/CST Timezones
We're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our Engine team at Zapier. The Engine team owns and operates the core services that execute and orchestrate the running of Zaps. Want to create a simple product that allows anyone to do complex, incredible things with the world's APIs? Then keep reading!
To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- You love building new things. You have at least 7+ years of software development building complex web based software products. You're familiar with Python and backend frameworks such as Django, but have experience evolving larger systems to strategically use more performant languages and tools as required. Zapier is built on Python, Django, React, Node.js, and AWS. We use modern tools, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work with software like Memcached, RabbitMQ, Docker, Redis, Kubernetes, ArgoCD, and much more.
- You have worked with teams before on large projects. You embrace service ownership by teams. You understand how to design systems in a distributed manner across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers - we handle 100s of millions of API calls every week and are growing fast.
- You love shipping to customers. You’ll be on a team focused on understanding customers' needs and translating those needs from specifications into functional, production-ready code. You'll have the opportunity to ship code daily that will be used by millions of people.
- You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, we believe in “Don't be a Robot, Build the Robot.” We build systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
- You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
- You love to set your own course. You will have regular team meetings to directly impact what we work on next. You’ll have regular one-on-one meetings with your manager to help shape and drive your career growth plans.
- You have a strong systems oriented mindset. You know how to design systems in a distributed manner across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers, and understand how interdependencies affect what you build. Zapier handles 100s of millions of API calls every week and is growing fast.
- You value our values. At Zapier, our values are at the heart of how we work together and how we think about our customers. In our remote setting, they help develop trust and ensure we work and collaborate together to democratize automation. You see how these values can empower meaningful work, you thrive in a collaborative setting, you are eager to continue growing and you’re excited to be part of the team.
THINGS YOU MIGHT DO
- Directly impact how our customers can be more productive by building and supporting the foundational building blocks of Zapier.
- Work with AWS services to build scalable solutions that process millions of requests.
- Operate and scale the systems you and your team build.
- Build and create toolkits for different engineering teams in the organization.
- Redesign and build services that execute API calls to thousands of 3rd party APIs.
- Ship code to millions of users every week.
- Work with thousands of different API integrations.
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
- Travel to company retreats that rotate to various cities.
As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past nine years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Remote in New Zealand, or PST/CST Timezones
Our team of 350+ is distributed (remote) because it lets us work with the best people. We have team members that live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! While we can hire many roles in locations anywhere in the world, some require specific timezone fits.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to UK, Canada, and US-based employees.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.