This position is remote based.
At GitLab, developers are independent, self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way. Most backend developers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, fixing bugs, and generally improving the application.
The Monitoring Team is building a robust monitoring solution using a combination of open source and custom-tailored solutions. We work transparently and we will contribute as much of our work as possible back to the open source community. With every piece of the devops lifecycle integrated in one place at GitLab, we have a unique opportunity to closely tie our monitoring features to all of the other pieces of the devops flow.
The Monitoring Team is responsible for:
- Providing the tools required to enable reliable monitoring of GitLab.com
- Packaging these tools to enable all customers to manage their instances easily and completely
- Building integrated monitoring solutions for customers apps into GitLab, including: metrics, logging, and tracing
- You will work closely with product, UX design, and front-end developers to deliver high quality features to our users
- You will collaborate with our support engineers to solve user-reported issues and implement robust solutions to avoid regressions
- You will engage with the GitLab core team and the open source community to collaborate on improving GitLab
- You will create and maintain detailed documentation around features and configuration to save our users’ time
- You will take initiative in improving our software in small or large ways to address pain points in your own experience as a developer
- You will keep code easy to maintain and make it easy for others to contribute code to GitLab
- You will help GitLab continue to hire passionate, collaborative team members
- You have worked on a production-level Ruby application (preferably Rails) - this is a strict requirement
- Experience with other technologies a plus
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level
- You are passionate about open source
- You have strong written communication skills
- You are self-motivated and have strong organizational skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values