As the Chief of Staff for the COO at GitHub, you’ll work directly for the COO and work closely with the leadership team to help them grow, scale, and run the business more effectively. In this role, you will help manage the business through three primary functions: Project and Program Management, Business Insights and Strategic Analysis, and Communications. You will define and execute the Rhythm of the Business for the office of the COO; including meeting cadence, quarterly reviews, off-sites, and all-hands. You will collaborate cross-functionally to develop and manage resourcing plans, enabling our team to execute and innovate at speed. You will serve as a critical partner for senior leaders on ad hoc projects ranging from business decision support to working with external partners. Finally, you'll serve as a Program Manager for key projects, driving both the strategic vision and project execution. This role requires a highly resourceful, self-driven individual with the ability to partner, execute, and lead through influence.
- Identify and own key projects to drive operational maturity at GitHub in partnership with the COO.
- Manage operational rhythm of the business: build meeting agendas, capture key insights and action items, and follow-up accordingly.
- Provide the COO with insightful data-driven strategic recommendations.
- Partner with the COO to drive key organizational improvements, ranging from org structure, to cross-org collaboration and communication and more.
- Support the key initiatives of all orgs rolling up to the COO, which are currently: Support, Business Development and Workplace Experience. The Office of the COO is also responsible for the company’s international expansion strategy and execution and for our sustainability efforts.
- Develop plans for communicating key messages throughout the organization.
- Partner closely with other functions including Product and Engineering, Communications, PR, Marketing, Finance, Legal and Operations. Use cross-functional knowledge and seek to understand issues, trends and perspectives that may influence the business.
- Drive the Leadership team of the COO org towards clear, efficient and accountable decision-making.
- Be a thought partner to leadership on the organization’s vision, priorities, challenges, and team culture.
- Distill and cascade core tenets of our strategy for leadership and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Own and lead the preparation and follow-up for all customer and executive reviews and customer briefings.
- Drive strategic initiatives and/or discrete projects on behalf of our COO and the executive team.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the COO and act as a representative when required.
- Solve ambiguous problems.
- 10 years of experience in Strategy, Stakeholder and Project Management.
- An entrepreneurial approach; you’re a self-starter who loves to own things end-to-end. You don’t ask for permission - you make it happen.
- A proven ability to solve ambiguous problems by applying frameworks to get to the first principles, aligning resources on the goal, executing, learning, and adapting.
- Experience partnering effectively with cross-functional teams or projects.
- Experience working with external C-level partners
- Ability to work across multiple functions - including Sales, Communications, Finance, with working knowledge of Product, Engineering, Marketing, Legal, HR and Operations.
- Ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of management with exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective Program Management skills, with demonstrated ability to lead complex strategic and operational initiatives.
- Understanding of the developer ecosystem.
- Start-up and/or management consulting experience a plus.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.