The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Content Manager who will play a key role in getting the message out to Wikipedia readers and donors that free knowledge is worth supporting. Wikipedia’s fundraising campaigns are the most visible direct communication the Foundation has with its reader audience, reaching hundreds of millions of people around the world. The Content Manager will report to the Vice President of Advancement and will work with fundraising leaders across the department to ensure all new written content is strategically aligned across platforms and audiences, from banners on Wikipedia, to emails to past donors, to event invitations for major donors, to planned giving emails, to social media ads for new leads, and more. They will apply their expertise in writing, brand voice, storytelling, copyediting, A/B testing, and project management to produce engaging messaging that is thematically consistent, relevant to our global audience, error-free, and motivates people to donate.
You are responsible for:
- Writing high-level messaging as well as day-to-day copy for a range of creative fundraising materials, revise copy based on internal feedback and direction coordinate with stakeholders across the department from the online, major gifts, and endowment fundraising teams on various creative projects, managing incoming requests, deploying appropriate resources, providing thorough review, and tracking progress to completion
- Staying on top of A/B testing, test results, and donor research to help inform our iterative process, highlighting long-term trends and monitoring how our fundraising brand voice changes over time with the ultimate goal of increasing donation and conversion rates
- Managing the work of our part-time copywriters, helping them to track and prioritize requests while honing their messaging skills for our specific context
- Performing rigorous copyediting and revision of all new content, reviewing for spelling, grammar, tone, consistency, and strength of messaging across platforms
- Developing user personas across various donor demographics, from age to donation history, from the $5 USD donor to the $25,000 USD donor, for copywriters and campaign strategists to use as guideposts
- Maintaining a style guide and be a leader of group practice for all writers in the Advancement department
- Running team brainstorming sessions and perform an editorial review of all ideas produced in these sessions
- Looking for ways to improve processes and documentation to help the team constantly evolve
Skills and Experience:
Qualities that are important to us:
- Strong writing skills and a passion for creating mission-driven, high-performing content
- Creative storytelling skills
- Relevant project management/production experience
- Fantastic attention to detail; “our process is our product.”
- Demonstrated experience copy editing other people's work in English
- A sophisticated knowledge of the English language (additional language fluency is a plus!)
- Experience managing creative contributors
- Competency in using data to inform decisions
- The ability to thrive in a distributed, international team. We care for each other and we care about hitting our impressive deliverables. Independence and self direction are critical.
- A willingness to learn on the job and comfort working within fast-paced, technical environments
- 5 years related experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience working in multilingual and multinational markets
- Nonprofit/Fundraising experience
- A/B testing experience
- Fluency in a language other than English
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2018
This is Wikimedia Foundation