Heap is seeking a strong writer and creative idea person to help forge Heap’s story and share it with audiences across our rapidly-growing space.
Reporting to the Head of Corporate Marketing, you will join a small, collaborative team focused on developing Heap’s story and winning mindshare in a burgeoning product space. You will work with stakeholders across the company—in marketing, engineering, product, sales, and elsewhere—to flesh out Heap’s point of view on multiple subjects, and to pull these together into a compelling overall message. In a given week, you may write a high-level white paper, create a brochure for an industry event, edit three blog posts sourced from across the company, develop a video script, tweet creatively about a business partnership, strategize on creative programs, help name a product feature, and interview an external influencer to find out what she really thinks about the future of product management.
About you: you love writing, and feel at home creating both long form and short form content. You’re able to extract clear and compelling narratives from complicated piles of information and from rambling interviews with SMEs. You’re dedicated to grammar, can edit other people’s work to bring out its best self, and think often about how to present information to both instruct and inspire. You can pivot on a dime and adopt your tone and voice to the audience at hand. You love to learn, and can independently figure out something your unclear about. You’ve noticed the three grammar errors in this paragraph and can point us to them. Above all, you’re a team player willing to bring positive energy, an abundance of ideas, a strong work ethic, and a critical mindset to every project and interaction.
This is a powerful opportunity for a smart, creative writer to help develop truly original thought leadership and create a story with a wide-ranging impact.
What you will be doing:
- Crafting content in many formats, directed to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Tailoring blog content and helping drive an ongoing content calendar
- Editing and improving writing sourced from across the company
- Helping build a community of engaged customers and prospects through Heap’s Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook accounts
- Working with stakeholders across the company to tease out unique stories about our product
- Collaborating with demand gen to hone in on or create the right content for their campaigns
- Working with product marketers to articulate stories about Heap’s features and value
- Work with our fantastic videographer to create customer videos, product walkthroughs, and anything else we can think of
- Learning everything you can about the space in which Heap operates, and bringing a creative perspective on it
- Helping develop content campaigns and thematic initiatives
- Collaborating to craft presentations, panels, and other media opportunities for our executive team
- Brainstorming new ideas and approaches, and making them real
30/60/90 Day Plan
- Within 30 days, you will:
- Understand our main value props and messaging.
- Have created some smaller pieces of content that begin to articulate Heap’s philosophy to different audiences.
- Have a sense of content cadence and responsibilities.
- Within 60 days, you will:
- Envision and start to build out larger content pieces.
- Begin to become a go-to editor for content sourced from across the company.
- Start to own the blog calendar, organic social media posting, and other foci in Heap’s overall content/thought leadership strategy.
- Within 90 days, you will:
- Be responsible for a regular cadence of written content, and for contributing to the overall content strategy.
- Be able to write about Heap from multiple perspectives, and be able to spell out Heap’s value prop to a wide range of potential audiences.
- Own Heap's blog output and organic social. Be the key writer for projects across marketing.
What we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of professional writing experience
- Strong writing -- someone who is happy spending most of their day dealing with the written word, and who can quickly pivot stylistically to write for different audiences. Someone who has a good sense of form and style. Someone who is good at taking other people’s writing and improving it.
- Creativity. Someone who is willing to bring an endless supply of new ideas. This role offers LOTS of room to think creatively.
- Ownership. Someone who is comfortable taking on projects and seeing them through to completion. Someone whom colleagues can count on to work independently.
- Experience writing across a variety of mediums, including short-form (social, ads) and long-form (white papers, ebooks, long articles).
- Team player. We’re a collaborative team, and we need someone with positive energy and a willingness to partner with others to accomplish shared goals.
People are what make Heap awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.
Heap has raised $95M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others. We offer plenty of awesome benefits, and we were named #1 on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work (SMB). We'd love to hear from you!