Are you an ambitious data-science developer who thrives on finding crucial business insights in complex data? Are you passionate about building data-science pipelines and algorithms to bring your discoveries to the world at scale? Then we want you to join us in the summer of 2021 as our SmugMug data-science intern!
To ensure the safety of all our employees, this internship position will be fully remote due to COVID-19.* Laptops and equipment will be provided, and the internship duration is 10 to 14 weeks on average with a May–June 2021 start date.
- Use ethical, privacy-respecting data-science tools to help us identify what product features our aggregated platform users care about most
- Determine and articulate trade-offs for different data architectures—and machine-learning design patterns—that will make your project a success
- Investigate and experiment with new tools and trends in data science that we may want to use in production
- Deliver a working prototype
- Develop a presentation story and slides based on your analysis
- Substantial academic coursework in math—especially statistics, computer science, and data science—at an advanced undergraduate or graduate level
- The ability to write moderately complex, performant SQL queries against relational databases
- Experience with Python Pandas, R, or both, and a strong interest in Python machine-learning tools
- Experience with using, scoring, and tuning a few common machine-learning algorithms in simple ML pipelines; examples could include PCA, KMeans, types of correlation analysis, linear and logistic regressions, and neural-network options like those accessible through Keras
- Experience creating visualizations and analytical reports
- An ability to write useful documentation about a project’s design, methodology, code, and results
- Exposure to text-mining topics and regular expressions
- Exposure to common data-engineering topics, including data exchanges with REST APIs, ETL pipelines, and command-line devops tools
- Exposure to front-end web-design practices
- Exposure to common software-engineering topics, such as code repos, code deployment, and project management
- Experience with, or willingness to learn, the use of AWS services for data management and analytics
- A natural curiosity and ability to conceptualize problems and solutions
- Tenacity and the ability to distill large amounts of data into key findings and recommendations to make fantastic user experiences
- A desire to interact and work within a team; confidence to ask questions when unsure
* Remote work applies to select states: California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.
SmugMug seeks to thrill customers around the world, and building a diverse team is essential to our success. We seek employees with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. And we’re committed to providing equal opportunities and cultivating an inclusive culture. We believe that embracing diversity is integral to innovation and progress.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at email@example.com to make an accommodation request.