This role is remote but candidates must be based in the UK.
As a Design Director, you’ll play a key role in defining what design means at MetaLab, supporting both the success of the team and the quality of the work itself. As our first Design Director based in Europe, you’ll need to be someone who thrives on change and sees opportunity in ambiguity. A confident, clear communicator, thoughtful listener, and engaged learner, you’ll be just as comfortable in a room of clients as you are in a room of peers. Above all else, your eye for exceptional design and investment in team-building will be what motivates both you and those around you.
- Under the direction of our VP of Design, you’ll co-manage a 50+ person design team and mentor our Europe-based Design Leads
- Co-lead the overall design team's operations and strategy.
- Collaborate with the Client Partnerships team to pitch potential client projects
- Assist with project scoping, helping define timeline and design requirements
- Vet, hire and train new members of the design team in Europe
- Advocate for your design team’s needs both within the org and in client contexts to help remove barriers and maximize successful outcomes
- Collaborate with the rest of MetaLab’s leadership team to maintain high levels of engagement, happiness, and work/life balance
- Articulate constructive feedback and offer consistent, productive performance evaluations
- Help foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for your team on an individual and collective level
- Provide design guidance and direction on several project teams at any given time
- Interacts with the design team online on a daily basis, and with clients when needed.
- Travel on occasion to client meetings (predominantly in North America)
- Adopt a remote work schedule that overlaps with PST by 3-4 hours, where the bulk of your meetings will be between 4-7 pm BST.
THE MUST-HAVE SHORTLIST
- You have experience overseeing UI/UX design as a discipline within an organization
- You possess a strong understanding of digital product design
- You’re a strong product design leader, mentor, and coach, having previously led and grown a team of product designers
- You’re familiar with common designer tools such as Figma, Sketch, Principle, Invision, etc.
- You can present to clients with credibility, clarity, and confidence
- You are comfortable facilitating groups in such a way that builds clarity, alignment, and trust
- You understand product management and product life-cycles, having previously led teams and built digital products from scratch
- You’re not big on ego and can get behind our strict “No assholes” policy
- You’re active and engaged in the greater design community, proud to represent MetaLab and bring on new talent