About the opportunity
We’re looking for a seasoned, results-oriented leader to join our fast-growing Legal Department as Director, Legal Operations. In this strategic role, you will define and execute on a vision to build a world-class Legal Operations function in a dynamic, high growth environment, driving operational excellence and continuous improvement in the delivery of legal services across the organization.
As Director, Legal Operations you will be a proactive, forward-thinking agent of change who is excited about developing and implementing scalable processes, organizational models and workflows to increase the quality, efficiency, value and effectiveness of the department’s operations and service delivery. Among other things, you will partner with the Chief Legal Officer to develop and execute on the department’s strategic roadmap; coordinate and optimize strategic financial management, outside counsel and vendor management, litigation management, knowledge management, matter management and talent management activities; develop KPIs and other metrics to measure and enhance performance; develop and execute on the department’s legal technology roadmap and IT system implementations; and manage department communications.
What to expect?
- Design and manage processes to positively impact the Legal team’s productivity and effectiveness (including finances, knowledge management, eDiscovery, and litigation support)
- Drive the development of monthly and quarterly business metrics, provide operational analysis through reports and dashboards and implement changes to improve performance
- Lead the development, execution and management of the Legal Department’s strategic planning process and annual operating plan, including headcount planning, monitoring expenditures and disbursements and recommending and instituting budget revisions when necessary
- Manage all vendor relationships with Legal service and technology solutions providers
- Develop and manage billing and legal billing guidelines
- Lead and manage key Legal Department initiatives and projects, including contract management, document management, knowledge management and other areas
- Develop and maintain an internal Legal intranet page and content
- Partner with Learning and Development to facilitate company-wide training on Legal topics
- Train the Legal team and the broader organization on legal processes and procedures (e.g. new hire on-boarding training, new software or process rollout)
- Develop, implement and enhance a comprehensive departmental strategic communications plan (e.g., newsletters, announcements, and messages from department leadership)
- Support the Chief Legal Officer with Legal team structure, strategy and engagement
- Partner with the Chief Legal Officer to manage organizational planning for the department, including supporting efforts related to recruiting, training, retention and performance management of department personnel
- Help organize Legal team meetings, offsites, and learning and development programs
- Assist department leadership with day-to-day operations, including identification, development and implementation of department policies and procedures, and reporting and dashboarding
- Keep current on latest legal operations industry trends and developments and identify opportunities to implement best practices
What you need to be successful?
- 7+ years of relevant, broad-based legal operations experience working in an in-house legal department (ideally at a SaaS or other technology company)
- Strong project planning and management experience with a proven track record of consistently successfully completing projects on-time and on-budget, and achieving the desired result
- Demonstrated ability building and leading a complex, data-driven function
- Demonstrated strength in analytical problem-solving—analyzing complex tasks, synthesizing information, developing options, including comprehensive plans inclusive of alternatives, and presenting data and recommendations
- Experience implementing and developing Legal technology solutions and technical awareness to identify need, search for, and adapt to new technology solutions as needed
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, utilizing effective organizational skills to prioritize and manage deadlines for multiple simultaneous projects for multiple stakeholders
- Team-player with the ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional role
- Excellent judgment, discretion, interpersonal skills and highly team-oriented
- Strong written and oral communication skills
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Generous time-off policy that rivals the best companies in tech
- We set you up for success, equipping you with the latest and greatest hardware
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career, with extra days off
- Plus, Contentful socks! Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful powers digital experiences for 28% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our content platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Spotify, Urban Outfitters, Jack in the Box, The British Museum, Xoom and Lenovo use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and are backed by over $150 million in funding from top-tier venture capital firms like Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 350 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco, Denver and distributed locations around the world.
“Everyone is welcome here” — it's a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability or length of time spent unemployed. We look forward to your application!
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby acknowledge and accept the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal data as described therein.