GitLab is looking to hire our first privacy and product attorney. As our Director of Legal, Privacy and Product, you will be responsible for leading and establishing this role and advising clients across GitLab on a broad range of privacy and product matters. You will have opportunities to manage and be involved in all aspects of the company's global privacy program and strategy.
This role will be a critical member of our legal team and will report to our Chief Legal Officer. The attorney in this role will be responsible for collaborating with and advising our team members on data privacy, security and matters related the GitLab platform. Director of Legal, Privacy and Product will effectively utilize internal and external resources with an eye toward efficiently continuing to manage privacy and product matters responsibly around the world.
- Partner with Product, Engineering, Security, Marketing and other teams and stakeholders within GitLab to address privacy law and product related matters;
- Manage and oversee GitLab’s data privacy program;
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates, policies and agreements as they related to product and privacy matters;
- Advise teams on privacy-by-design and privacy engineering;
- Evaluate the impact of contractual and regulatory privacy and security requirements on business practices;
- Analyze the privacy and security implications of new products and services and provide on ways to minimize privacy compliance risks;
- Monitor legal developments, such as new laws or regulatory guidance, and providing analysis of same as needed to the business units;
- Support business unit attorneys with respect to privacy issues in contract negotiations and client relationships;
- Contribute to developing and conducting data privacy training and education programs for team members, managers and team members;
- Manage outside counsel relationships as necessary
- 10+ years combined law firm and in-house legal department experience, preferably as a lead privacy and product lawyer in a multinational company;
- JD/US law degree and bar admission in at least US one state;
- Proven success working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve complex business and risk management issues while considering many non-legal variables, such as culture, brand, communications, government relations, tax, insurance, finance and other functional areas;
- US and non-US jurisdiction familiarity in both privacy law and product matters;
- Expertise in privacy law, in the US and globally;
- OSS licensing experience;
- Familiarity with export control;
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests;
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail;
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude;
- Sound business judgment;
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage;
- Willingness to learn and use GitLab;
- Successful completion of a background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- 30 minute screening call with Recruiter
- 50 minute interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- 50 minute interview with another member our Legal team
- 50 minute interview with a member of the Security Team
- 50 minute interview with our Engineering Team
- 50 minute interview with our Product Team
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.