The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Director of Product Management to design and implement our anti-disinformation program. This unique position will have a global impact on preventing Disinformation through Wikipedia and our other Wikimedia projects. You will gain a deep understanding of the ways in which our communities have fought disinformation for the last two decades and how this content is used globally. You will work cross-functionality with Legal, Security, Research and other teams at the Foundation and imagine and design solutions that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Working with cross-functional teams to design the Wikimedia Foundation anti-disinformation program and advocating for necessary resources
- Working closely with the communities on Wikipedia and other wikimedia projects, as well as the Foundation’s Trust and Safety and Legal teams to gain a deep understanding of the current ways disinformation is handled
- Bringing structure to the problem of disinformation and create recommendations for ways to prevent and fight disinformation moving forward
- Engaging with outside experts and partners to understand how Wikimedia content is used across other platforms to fight disinformation on those platforms
- Working closely with user experience designers, researchers, product management, engineering and machine learning teams to create tools and solutions that help Wikimedia volunteer editors and patrollers address disinformation more effectively
- Managing communications among the product teams and the broader cross-functional organization to ensure stakeholder alignment as well as with external partners such as media, working groups and academics
- Acting as a subject matter expert inside the Foundation and a watchdog on disinformation related issues
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field, or the equivalent, in related work experience
- Experience directing teams that build tools and solutions to address disinformation in a media environment
- Experience creating large-scale programs that incorporate software, legal, and procedural components
- Robust analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills with the ability to deliver on detail as well as strategy
- Ability to present to executives and communicate with technical and non-technical management teams alike
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively and develop effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff and communities
- Experience managing a diverse range of responsibilities in a dynamic and results oriented environment. Must be comfortable with evolving requirements and priorities
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
- Commitment to the mission of the organization and our values
- Commitment to our guiding principles
- Ability to disagree in a respectful manner and yet work towards a solution even when you disagree
- Good at async communication
- Solutions-focused. The Wikimedia ecosystem is complex, resources are limited, and our guiding principles are ambitious. We want you to work to find solutions embracing these factors.
- Self motivated with an Ability to navigate through ambiguity and bring a project to completion with limited directions
- Curiosity and commitment to learn
Additionally, we would love it if you have:
- Experience editing Wikipedia or with the Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons community or other collaborative enterprises
- Experience with open source software development
- Knowledge of Disinformation programs at large technology companies
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack