Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We are looking for a senior leader to spearhead our efforts to improve the efficacy of our investment in Digital Ocean’s global infrastructure.
Reporting to our VP of Strategic Sourcing, this position will be responsible for directing all purchasing done by the company with a primary focus on the technical components needed to drive our global cloud business, primarily servers, that reside across 12 business data centers worldwide. In addition, this position will be involved with all other purchasing done by the company with particular emphasis on software needed to support the country’s functional departments. This position will lead the process of evaluating suppliers, conducting interviews with vendors, negotiating supplier agreements and managing supplier and vendor contracts. With annual purchasing in excess of $100 million this will be a critical role for the company.
DigitalOcean is a highly collaborative company. You will be engaging with business teams from engineering, product, marketing, sales, finance and people, to assist them in the investments they need to drive the business forward.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Direct all strategic procurement activity for the company and support the company’s objectives regarding revenue growth, profitability, customer satisfaction
- Coordinate corporate wide supplier sourcing strategy by partnering with best in class suppliers and collaboration with internal cross functional partners
- Manage supplier performance using objectives and metrics to provide best in class supply assurance and flexibility, acquisition of enabling technology, capital acquisitions, cost management and risk mitigation
- Leverage total spend of the company to get best in class price terms and conditions
- Manage all strategic supplier relationships enabling preferential treatment of price, terms, service, access to new technology
- Implement and manage best practices for the corporate function including corporate planning, buying/contracting, risk management & mitigation
- Assurance of supply for goods, services, capital acquisitions to meet revenue and customer satisfaction objectives on time
- Cost reductions versus corporate targets to contribute to gross margin performance of the company
- Management of strategic executive relationships with suppliers/partners as evident by preferred customer treatment and prioritization
- Acquisition of key technologies, enabling product roadmap and offerings
- Responsive to upside opportunities to meet customer needs as well as managing downside exposure and risk.
- Supplier performance as measured by Quarterly Business Review scorecards
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Supply Chain Management or Business degree preferred or related area (finance, economics, legal)
- Senior level experience in a high tech company managing all aspects of strategic corporate procurement
- Proven experience in managing executive level strategic supplier relationships
- Industry knowledge in aerospace, telecom, data storage, computers, government, business
- Demonstrated negotiation skills in strategic buying/contracting
- Objectives/metrics driven executive supporting the top level objectives for the company
- Team player with proven collaboration skills across company functions and external partners
- Strategic thinker contributing to the longer term objectives of the business in terms of revenue growth customer satisfaction and profitability
- Person of integrity who operates at a high level of ethical behavior
- Customer service oriented and responsive to the changing demands of the business and customer needs
- Experience with scaling data centers globally/regionally
- Extensive Knowledge of key suppliers/providers of servers, memory, storage networks.
- Management experience of CM/ODM since this may be a longer term sourcing strategy
- Executive level negotiation skills
- Broad cost management experienced across various spend categories
- Experience on managing executive relationships with top suppliers
- Process, Data and metrics driven for results
- Expert in collaborating cross functionally
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.