Okta is growing rapidly. In order to maintain our steep growth trajectory, it's critical that we constantly search for new avenues for market expansion while improving upon our existing business. Okta’s Strategy and Business Operations team works on high visibility projects in conjunction with product and business leaders across the organization. As part of this team, you will help Okta identify and execute on high growth opportunities, while defining and investigating metrics to manage the health of the business. You will be instrumental in defining Okta’s long term strategy and growth.
Priorities and Example Projects
This role centers on two main priorities:
1. Shaping Okta’s strategy for market expansion
Over the past several years, we have expanded Okta’s product portfolio into adjacent technology areas that address new use cases and appeal to new types of buyers. Some examples of projects in this domain include:
- Product Strategy: developed the business case and supported due diligence efforts surrounding Okta’s acquisition of a low-code integration service provider (Azuqua)
- TAM Expansion: developed a strategy for Okta to extend one of its key product lines to fulfill new use cases and expand Okta’s addressable market. The results of this were presented at a recent Okta Board of Directors meeting.
2. Extending our lead in our core product areas
In addition to identifying new growth vectors, we work on high profile projects to build on our lead with Okta’s existing product set. Some examples of such projects include:
- Compete strategy: developing a data-driven strategy to drive product and go-to-market effectiveness versus a key competitor. The results of this work have informed Okta’s product roadmap and positioning in the market.
- Churn and customer engagement: Conducted an in-depth study of reasons for customer churn and drivers for increased engagement with one of Okta’s key products. The results of this work shaped a cross-functional initiative to identify customers at risk and inform the steps to increase product engagement.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop business cases for Okta to invest in new markets or drive new initiatives
- Analyze competitive offerings, synthesize findings, and identify sources of differentiation for Okta
- Size addressable market and model revenue opportunity
- Define business model by both identifying areas for value creation and value capture
- Conduct voice of the customer research with Okta customers and prospects to test new product concepts, isolate product requirements, understand willingness to pay, and identify implications for Okta’s product positioning and go-to-market strategy
- Articulate market entry requirements, business risks, and steps to mitigate
- Define and track business performance and product usage metrics to assess the success of key business initiatives
- On an ongoing basis, analyze and report on Okta’s operational and product performance; develop dashboards to measure key metrics and product health
- Support product team and other company stakeholders in managing rhythm of the business
Preferred Candidate Profile
The successful candidate will have prior experience developing data-driven growth strategies for technology companies, whether through work in strategy consulting, corporate strategy, or a business operations role at a technology company. It is critical that this person possess a high comfort with ambiguity, strong problem structuring skills, analytical acumen, and solid communication skills in presenting business insights to executives.
The ideal applicant will also have experience working within the product development process, possess the ability to establish credibility with product and engineering leaders, and hold an understanding of operational and go-to-market implications of their strategy recommendations. Experience working with cloud services, enterprise IT products, identity management, and device management are major advantages. Further, success in this role will require a strong ability to understand core customer requirements (not just what people ask for), define our overall short- and long-term strategy, and collaborate across the broader Okta organization to ensure the development of a compelling strategy.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA preferred
- Experience in technical or quantitative field preferred
- 8-10+ years of consulting and/or industry experience with a background in strategy consulting, business operations or corporate strategy
- Track record of successful delivery of company-critical projects and proven business impact
- Strong leadership skills and executive presence
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset; comfort with ambiguity and drive to take on new challenges and responsibilities
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; strong aptitude for structuring complex problems and presenting well-supported solutions
- Experience with SaaS and enterprise software products or services
- Knowledge of identity, security, device/mobility management, and/or developer-facing products is a plus
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.