Airtable's unique approach to enabling end-user software creation has struck a chord with users across many industries and use cases. Our accelerating growth, coupled with our ambitious product surface area, brings many challenges.
As the Engineering Manager for our Production Engineering team, and the overall lead for the SRE function at Airtable, you will lead, support, and provide daily guidance to engineering teammates as we build robust tools and operational practices that enable high availability at scale.
You will help your team not only automate and build the workflows that support scaling out our architecture, but you’ll also work closely with the rest of engineering to enable them to deliver and manage their features reliably, safely and efficiently. Our ideal candidate has experience managing a team of experienced SREs or backend engineers working on projects where scale, availability, automation, and developer productivity are a priority.
What you’ll do
- Be responsible for the SRE function at Airtable. Work with other engineering teams to build a shared responsibility model for reliability that clarifies the role of SREs and supports the broader engineering org.
- Directly impact availability by improving engineering-wide processes around incident response and oncall.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with security, customer experience, sales, product, design, and other teams to collect and share business context.
- Manage and work directly with the production engineering team to drive bottoms-up innovation. Solicit new project ideas, prioritize them for impact, and drive execution.
- Make strategic investments in tools, automation, and shared infrastructure to reduce manual toil and empower other engineering teams to develop features quickly and ship them successfully to production.
- Provide career guidance and performance feedback to all team members. Ensure senior engineers are having a large, positive impact. Ensure junior team members are learning and growing.
- Work with recruiting and engineers to source qualified SRE candidates, improve our interview process, and make great hires to continue scaling the team.
- Proactively look for ways to improve how the engineering team works. Get buy-in from technical stakeholders inside and outside engineering and drive positive change.
Who you are
- Prior experience managing a team of SREs or backend engineers working on projects where scale, availability, automation, and developer productivity are a priority.
- Track record of highly impactful work at prior companies, including both as a manager and as an engineer.
- Intellectually curious, excited to learn new skills and grow as a manager and as a leader.
What we offer
- Health care: we have you 100% covered (and your dependents 50% covered) with competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance. You'll also be eligible for a complimentary membership to One Medical Group
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development.
- Gym Membership: we’re proud to provide employees in our San Francisco and New York offices with complimentary gym memberships to Equinox, or up to $100/month reimbursement towards any other gym.
- Meals and Snacks: our offices are empty these days, but when we're back we'll continue to have high-quality catered lunches and well-stocked kitchens.
- Generous PTO, sick leave, and parental leave.
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 200,000 organizations around the world. Our recent Series D funding round, which included Thrive Capital, Coatue, and Benchmark, doubled our total investment to more than $350 million. And we're just getting started.