The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an Evaluation Associate to join our team, reporting to the Manager of Learning & Evaluation. As the Evaluation Associate, you will support the Wikimedia Foundation's evaluation activities, helping inform the Foundation’s practices with sound data and clear insights. This role sits on the Learning & Evaluation (L&E) team, within the Operations department and will collaborate closely with other L&E team members. The Associate will support the L&E team to evaluate the outcomes of the Foundation’s capacity-building efforts and collect ongoing data from our communities of volunteers. In this role, you will coordinate 2-3 evaluation projects and support the L&E Team to execute and communicate about its efforts.
Please note that this is a remote role that can sit anywhere in or outside of the United States.
You are responsible for:
- Project coordination for community surveys, including dissemination and analysis support
- Development of data collection tools
- Maintenance of evaluation and analysis protocols
- Management of Qualtrics accounts for WMF staff and community users
- Compilation and summarization of background literature for reports and research protocols
- Analysis and summarization of quantitative and qualitative evaluation data
- Identifying trends or patterns in data sets and generating basic data visualizations to illustrate those trends
- Assistance with the development, design, writing, and dissemination of reports and data dashboards
- Help to compile and organize the data, metrics, and outcomes that our volunteer communities are tracking
- Create evaluation resources and materials for our volunteer communities
- Maintain the L&E Team’s community-facing website, updating it regularly with reports and resources
Skills and Experience:
- A master's degree, or a bachelor's degree with at least two years of relevant work experience, in the social sciences, evaluation, education, international development, public policy, public health or a similar field
- Knowledge of program evaluation (either through academic training or professional experience) and a desire to grow that knowledge in a non-profit setting
- Formal training in quantitative and qualitative social science research methods and an understanding of basic statistical concepts
- Prior coursework in or practical experience with quantitative and qualitative collection and analysis
- Proficiency in Excel, Google Sheets, or a similar spreadsheet application. Experience with at least one statistical software analysis package (such as SPSS, SAS, or R) is a plus, but not required
- Experience communicating data clearly through narratives, tables, graphs, and other visualizations
Qualities that are important to us:
- A commitment to using data for the purposes of creating a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable world
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to work systematically to ensure accuracy and quality
- Ability to work remotely through the use of collaborative technology (e.g. Google Suite, Zoom, etc.)
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and work collaboratively, as well as independently
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics.
- Ability to problem solve and to learn and apply new technologies
- Exceptional written communication skills and interpersonal skills
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Interest or knowledge in Wikimedia projects, the free knowledge movement, global education and/or international development
- Experience working in an international or multilingual setting
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
[IF FTE] U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible non-US workers' benefits are specific to location and dependent on employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation