Location: Remote (CST-EST timezones, EST highly preferred)
The Executive Assistant to the Office of the ED/CEO is a vital role in the Wikimedia Foundation. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, you will take a strategic approach and initiative to keep the office running smoothly. You have an impeccable attention to detail, a love for making a plan come together, and derive joy from anticipating needs and opportunities, and heading off challenges. You will manage requests with speed and discretion, and adapt to an ever-changing environment to meet the needs of the Office.
This position will handle and direct information requests from a wide range of global partners, volunteers, community members, press/media and staff and contractors. This role must navigate with grace non-traditional organizational structures, adeptly handle a wide variety of interpersonal interactions, and anticipate and respond to the needs of the Executive Director, Board, and her C-suite while creating a supportive and smooth operational atmosphere around them. You see problems before they arrive, and take the lead in solving them with expert judgement and consideration of the needs of the ED and organization.
You are responsible for:
Office management and leadership
- Take a strategic view to ensure a high-functioning office, where requests are dealt with swiftly, responses are timely, and teams work effectively together
- Worry about the small details, and always remember how they connect to the big picture
- Take and share notes for key meetings, including weekly executive meetings, and prepare summaries to share with staff
- Manage expense reports and reimbursements for ED and Chief of Staff
- Support onboarding of new executive staff
- Plan and manage logistics for quarterly exec retreats, including venues, catering, celebrations, travel, and audio-visual needs
- Manage inboxes for ED to ensure most important things get to the top; flag priority emails and communications; work with CoS to triage inbound general requests to appropriate staff or board; follow up to ensure things don’t get dropped
Support for ED and staff for the Board of Trustees
- Proactively anticipate and manage board needs for scheduling, information, meetings, travel and visas, and expenses.
- Support logistics and planning for meetings and retreats
Expert-level calendar management
- Manage the smooth intake and management of invitations, multi-stakeholder meeting requests, and invitations for public appearances
- Take a methodical, planned approach to efficient calendaring to ensure the ED is prepared, present, and able to participate fully in every meeting, including daily review and next-day pre-prep, regular calendar pruning and logistics (AV) management
- Manage ED’s wellbeing by ensuring personal appointments, professional development, paid time off, and exercise still remain in a hectic schedule
- Build and maintain strong functional relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to enable efficient and expedient scheduling practices
World-class travel support
- Manage and coordinate complex, multi-country, clustered travel to ensure appropriate use of funds and efficient use of ED and senior executive time. Make sure we all get where we need to go, every time, on time.
- Work with travel team to evaluate and book travel, hotels, ground transportation, meetings and meals/coffees, re-book as needed, and manage travel options
Full-time personal attention to the Office of the ED
- On-call attention to the needs of the Office, especially during work hours, board and senior executive meetings, regardless of time zones
- Anticipate challenges and head them off in advance, navigate conflicts, and resolve issues to allow ED to focus on their priorities
- Match ED office hours for all in-person meetings (e.g., if she has a mtg @ 8 am, you’re available in advance as-needed)
Communications, logistics, and relationship management
- Manage relationship information and prepare communications to support good relations with donors, supporters, partners, etc. Prepare follow-ups and thank you's as needed.
- Generate and manage invitations and RSVPs for events
Location and travel
This opportunity is available to prospective candidates located anywhere in the Central to North American Eastern Time Zone (EST highly preffered). Wikimedia maintains an office in Washington, DC, but a successful candidate located outside that area could have the option to work remotely. The position requires a valid passport and the reasonable ability to travel when needed, including annual international travel for Wikimania, board of trustees meetings, all-staff meetings, and on-site support for some executive meetings.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation