Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an IT Systems Specialist to co-lead our efforts in developing, implementing and managing our enterprise systems. You will play a key role in the hands on implementation of the integration and automation of our developing enterprise systems. You will co-lead in the assessment, facilitation and implementation of industry standard tools. This includes managing change management, adoption and policy creation. You will work within the ITS (IT Services) team building out, supporting and maintaining our internal IT systems. Our ideal candidate will be excited to play an integral role during the Foundation’s most rapid growth period. This role will be a member of the Information Technology Services Team supporting staff based domestically and internationally.
You are responsible for:
- Co-leading efforts in implementing, supporting and enhancing internal specialized systems and processes such as OnBoarding/OffBoarding workflows
- Work in tandem with our Systems Administrator to build out system services in order to enhance our remote working environments
- Collaborate cross-department to build effective and efficient workflows
- Engage with external vendors in order to scope and perform discovery of new tools and services
- Perform research and implement technical solutions for internal systems and ensure compliance with Foundation objectives.
- Implement reporting tools to provide health and relevance of internal systems work flows
- Plan and perform change management and adoption of new workflows impacted by the enhancement of enterprise architecture
- Document all Systems functionalities on our OfficeWiki
- Maintain documentation of portfolio of systems support services
- Provide technical assistance to Wikimedia Foundation staff domestically and worldwide
- Support of Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and macOS operating systems
- Provide Tier 2-3 escalation support (rotational schedule for Team)
- Collaborate with outside contractors as needed
- Support equipment deployment and management tools
- Assist with asset and software procurement and inventory management
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Enterprise systems and tools for a company environment or equivalently sized organization
- Ability to perform and improve support workflows from beginning to end, ensuring proper report out is adhered to
- Demonstrated capabilities in collaborating with non-technical partners
- Experience analyzing and interpreting written information to draw connections and making recommendations
- Experience with vendor management and contract services
- Ability to complete projects/assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Experience with the administration, integration and automation of the following tools and technologies: GSuite, JAMF, LDAP, Oomnitza, Zendesk, SSO, DaaS, SaaS
- “Power-User” understanding macOS,Ubuntu Linux, and Windows operating systems.
- Service-oriented approach: able to anticipate, understand and meet the needs of professionals.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively, both written and orally
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities including urgent tasks
- Be comfortable in a highly collaborative, communicative and consensus-oriented environment and proven ability to work well on a team, take instruction, and learn from mistakes.
- Familiarity and desire to work with scripting languages (e.g., Python.)
- Experience working with a global remote workforce (international and domestic)
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with end-user security best practices
- Experience with network troubleshooting (TCP\IP, DHCP, DNS, VLANs, 802.1x)
- Familiarity with VPN support, troubleshooting and configuration
- A/V support and troubleshooting experience (Zoom, Google Meet, Qsys)
- Awareness of sustainability practices
- Familiarity with Wikitext (wiki markup) language.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation