Astronomer helps organizations adopt Apache Airflow, the market’s leading open-source data workflow orchestration platform. We’re a fast-growing startup pushing forward to make Apache Airflow the open source standard for data orchestration.
As the Manager of the Solution Architecture team, you will play a hands on role to build and lead a team of highly skilled Solution Architects in their support of our Sales team and customers. You will ensure that our growth is guided by strong technical alignment with the needs of the market and our users. You will grow to have a deep understanding of both Apache Airflow and Astronomer as you work with organizations ranging from seed stage startups to Fortune 50 enterprises.
You’ll be leading a team to deliver solutions around Apache Airflow and the Astronomer platform. You'll work closely with sales and product leadership to play a key role in winning business and defining the product strategy. You'll not only be responsible for the success of your customers, but also the growth and development of your team. Last but not least, you’ll have the opportunity to engage with the Apache Airflow project, a thriving open source community with over 1000 contributors. Every Solutions Engineer will grow to become an Airflow expert and be a trusted advisor to organizations looking to put their data in motion.
- Build, lead and drive a team of Solutions Architects/Sales engineers who serve as our core product introduction, evaluation and education experts
- Manage individual and team performance ensuring that we are taking the necessary actions to maintain high levels of performance
- Work with the sales leadership to understand how Astronomer can help solve customer business problems
- Provide guidance to revenue leaders on sales strategy, product obstacles/gaps and represent the team’s needs to executive staff
- Become a subject matter expert on the competitive landscape of workflow orchestration
- Mentor/coach new hires during on-boarding and subsequent phases to ensure accurate ramping of skills and capabilities of new solutions engineers.
- Help create and maintain sales + technical artifacts around Astronomer’s “why”, “what” and “how”
- Work cross functionally within the organization to create and maintain deep technical content for the larger Apache Airflow community
- Support efforts for account expansion and maintenance by helping to identify and scope engagements and new opportunities
- Conduct 1:1s with team members to help guide skills and development
- Act as a liaison, collecting feedback from the field to relay back to the Product team
- Become an Airflow expert
A strong candidate is:
- At least 3+ years of prior experience leading and managing a presales/solutions team preferably in software related to cloud infrastructure, data engineering, or related technologies (extra points for open source background)
- Prior experience as a pre-sales engineer, solutions architect or solutions engineer
- Able to travel 25% of the time
- Empathetic and leans towards giving those around them the benefit of the doubt
- A strong verbal and written communicator
- Has a knack for breaking down complex technical concepts into digestible tid-bits
- Comfortable leading presentations. They will often be giving presentations and product demos to large groups.
- Great at thinking on their feet - they will often be fielding questions and coming up with clear and articulate answers on the spot
- Experienced with cloud infrastructure (Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform,)
- Experienced with writing Python and working with Apache Airflow (Preferred)
At Astronomer, we value diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer: we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.