Okta is looking for someone to manage and grow quality and test engineering teams for our Developer Experience group. The ideal candidate cares deeply about ensuring quality for large-scale, mission-critical software in an Agile environment and has empathy for the people who will interact with it: the end users, admins, and developers. We strive to ensure quality with automated continuous integration tests, synthetic traffic generation, and live-site monitoring. Our elite team is honest, innovative and flexible; with a weekly release cycle and high standards, we expect great things from our engineering teams.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on technical QA Manager who can guide the QA members in the QA team and in their development scrum teams, build alliances across dev teams and unblock team members.
- Provide oversight and direction for all test engineers, delegate responsibility, and empower them in their day to day activities of test engineers within an Agile Scrum environment
- Estimate efforts to attain quality objectives for new feature development based on Product Requirement Documents (PRD). These relate to requirements for platform, browser, and OS support, service level availability (SLA) requirements, performance requirements, and automation coverage requirements
- Recruit, evaluate, hire and nurture new team members, including writing clear, detailed, and attractive job descriptions
- Drive the building of world-class test automation with your technical expertise and support
- Develop test plans as the primary guidance for all team members, including details of the test strategy for each bug fix, feature enhancement and new feature including the test cycle time, release criteria, automation requirements, regression test plan, load, stress and performance test plan among other information
- Review test plans of team members, helping them get input from stakeholders, to collect and incorporate into final test plans
- Oversee the development and execution of test strategy and monitor and report on test execution to upper management. Work with individual software QA engineers to review and help build comprehensive test strategies for the areas they work on and use project tracking tools like Jira to track test plan development and execution of test cases
- Aggregate data from team members, analyze for risks, and create JIRA summary reports on the quality of the product
- Manage employee performance by encouraging contribution through goal setting, feedback, and career development planning and opportunities by defining SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) goals that align with the company goals. Regularly review performance against the set goals and provide constructive feedback
- Work closely with product engineering teams with code and design reviews on product source code including thorough reviews and comments on Git Pull Requests
- Work with Operations to help understand and monitor changing behavior on the live site
- Collaborate with Product Management and Development Management to define requirements and schedules then drive delivery. Contribute to the development of Product requirement documents by helping finalize feature requirements and provide feedback.
- Partner with Customer Support and field teams to understand customer use cases
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 2+ years of people management experience
- 5+ years of experience in software test engineering
- Broad knowledge and hands-on technical experience in test methodologies and automation development
- Excellent skills developing Selenium Webdriver or Web API tests, preferably in Java
- Experience with Single Sign-On technologies, such as SAML and OpenID
- Experience with delivering, testing and supporting developer tools and documentation
Experience with test efforts for mobile applications or MFA technologies is a plus
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Education and Training:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their need. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.