SmugMug is looking for a senior engineer to join our photo management team. You’ll work on customer-facing products, creating experiences that thrill and delight, while being part of a team obsessed with keeping billions of photos safe and helping millions of passionate customers do more with their media. If you want to be among peers who are fun, embrace inclusivity, disagree respectfully, champion excellence, and empower each other to be their best selves, we want to work with you!
- Maintain and modernize a large and continually evolving non-framework PHP codebase that our customers depend on daily
- Collaborate within a multifunctional team that includes product management, engineering, data, design, quality assurance, and customer success
- Tackle exciting engineering problems
- Develop solutions that support the evolving media-management needs of our customers
- Advocate for pragmatic solutions over engineering perfection
- Assist with defining product direction, balancing customer needs against feasibility
- Take ownership of initiatives and have accountability for outcomes
- Lead with empathy
- Have a bias toward action
- Experience building software as a service (SaaS) platforms
- The ability to extract, index, and query rich metadata using relational stores, Elasticsearch, and graph databases
- Experience with REST APIs, both as a consumer and publisher
- Familiarity with MySQL, database design, database normalization and denormalization, and NoSQL patterns common with services like DynamoDB
- Experience with service-oriented architectures (SOA), design patterns, and code refactoring long-lived codebases
- Experience with inheritance, dependency injection, single-responsibility principle, and modern object-oriented programming paradigms
- Comfort interpreting data and using it to influence decisions
- Experience identifying root causes of failures and implementing solutions to prevent their reoccurrence
- Passion for participating in a culture of continual learning and improvement
- Experience estimating complexity and effort for work
- An understanding that good solutions become great through collaboration and refining scope and requirements over time
- Experience working with AWS services
- An ability to explain the risks and trade-offs inherent in different approaches when proposing solutions
- Experience sharing knowledge and mentoring peers
*Remote work applies to select states: California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.
SmugMug aims to thrill customers around the world, and building a diverse team is critical to our success. We seek employees with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. And we’re committed to providing equal opportunities and cultivating an inclusive culture. We believe that embracing diversity is integral to innovation and progress.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at email@example.com to make an accommodation request.