Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We are passionate about engaging communities of developers.
As the Open Source Community Relations Manager, you will be responsible for fostering the adoption and activation of DigitalOcean in the Open Source space. You will take the lead on building and managing programs that highlight the open source community and drive awareness and engagement for DigitalOcean.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build and execute a strategy for programs to engage, support, and delight our community members and bring more open source projects to DigitalOcean.
- Identify and cultivate strategic relationships with current and potential partners in the context of leading Open Source projects and organizations.
- Manage the open source sponsorship to identify and review potential/current projects that are aligned to DigitalOcean community goals and values.
- Work closely with the Developer Relations Team to ensure that content and engagement is optimal for the DigitalOcean community.
- Enable Open Source projects to move to DigitalOcean with sponsorship and relationship management. Set expectations, provide them support, training, advice for migrations facilitation.
- Develop and execute the collaboration strategy for key projects, as well as co-marketing campaigns, communication, and initiative execution.
- Act as a liaison between internal teams at DigitalOcean and project maintainers to communicate the product roadmap, feature requests, and to help support continued education.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- You have significant experience running community advocacy programs, preferably open source in nature.
- In-depth knowledge of the Open Source ecosystem.
- Prior experience developing relationships with Open Source communities.
- Analytical and data-driven in your approach to building and nurturing communities.
- You have experience facilitating sensitive and complex community situations with humility, empathy, judgment, tact, and humor.
- Familiarity with developer tools, cloud technologies, Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes, and other technologies in the Cloud Native landscape.
- Proven experience in engaging with the open source community and running large programs at scale to support the community.
- You're a highly motivated self-starter, always looking for the next thing to which you’d like to devote your heart and mind. You can own and drive initiatives with minimal guidance and direction, but know yourself well enough to ask for help when appropriate.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a knack for breaking down complicated concepts into digestible, approachable explanations.
- Proven record of creating and maintaining relationships in the OSS community demonstrating deep empathy, engagement, and enthusiasm.
- Deep familiarity with best practices in open source software community management.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!