If you’re the type of person who wakes up with a craving to make a difference, this is for you. If you’re the type of person who sits at their desk trying to find ways to make a banner ad mean something more, this is definitely for you. If you’re constantly writing game-changing ideas on Post-It notes in hopes that one day you’ll be using your creativity alongside a group of passionate people from around the world who have the same itch for purpose as you -- please apply.
The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a dynamic Senior Copywriter professional excited to elevate the voices and stories of the free knowledge movement. The Copywriter will play a critical role in supporting the Brand Studio in connecting global audiences and lifting up the narrative of the future of free knowledge in the world.
This is a highly collaborative role for a conceptual creative, with regular opportunities to apply big picture thinking for key initiatives and campaigns in close partnership with peers and colleagues in the Brand Studio, Communications team, across the Wikimedia Foundation, volunteer community members, organizational partners, movement leaders and other figures working in partnership toward Wikimedia’s mission of free knowledge for all.
You are responsible for:
- Interpreting creative briefs to develop and produce creative concepts through execution
- Writing original copy and editing content for a range of creative / marketing materials
- Collaborating with a team from concept development to delivery of final product
- Presenting concepts and final deliverables to internal teams and communities
- Revising copy based on internal feedback and direction
Skills and Experience:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s + 5 yrs related exp; Master’s + 3 years related experience; or equivalent work experience
- An adaptive and detail-oriented leader with an interest in understanding, supporting, and expanding the voice of the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia Foundation, a high energy for and commitment to the Wikimedia Foundation’s free knowledge mission
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing multiple projects at once, an interest in both independent and collaborative work
- Experience in developing and maintaining systems and documentation for projects with multiple moving parts and stakeholders
- A strong interest in writing, communications and desire to learn
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Strong research skills
- The ability to meet deadlines and excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment that often requires fast turn‐around
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and a desire to tackle challenging problems
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
Additionally, we’d love it if:
- You can ideate and write in two or more languages
- You currently live and work outside of the United States
- You are a writer with a diverse lived experience.
- 4-6 Years as a conceptual copywriter in marketing/ advertising
- Cover letter: We’d like to know about you. More than what your CV would say.
- Three examples of your best work, demonstrating an ability to solve problems with a big idea and execute them in different ways
- Your CV
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation