At GitHub, we want to help everyone build better software, which is why we’re creating a company where anyone, regardless of what they look like or where they come from, can grow and succeed. We believe that when people with different perspectives, life experiences, and identities join us and thrive, we can build better products for developers all around the world. Our company reflects the global community that we serve.
We’re looking for a Director of Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging to uphold and extend our inclusive culture where all Hubbers can bring their authentic selves to work, feel like they belong and are valued, and work in an environment that celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences.
Who you are:
You’ve been committed to developing a strategy, programs and initiatives that build and strengthen a diverse and inclusive workforce, and you love both the scrappy and the strategic elements of your work. You’ve diplomatically challenged mindsets and inspired new points of view and removed systemic and cultural roadblocks to leave a lasting, positive impact on an organization. You’re a bit of a data and communications geek with a penchant for using all available channels to make even the most complex of concepts easier to understand. You have a growth mindset -- you approach everything as a learning opportunity and you’re excited to create something new. And you’re great at bringing others along with you on this journey.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Further integrate our DI&B beliefs and values throughout our systems through innovative solutions that broaden and advance the employee experience and support our business goals.
- Champion and scale initiatives globally across a diverse, remote and multifunctional organization.
- Create, maintain and facilitate data-driven, high-impact resources in a variety of formats across multiple audiences to enable everyone to support and further our objectives.
- Integrate key concepts of belonging, inclusion, and diversity into existing programs, policies and practices.
- Be a strong voice for inclusion and diversity at GitHub and in the broader industry community, communicating effectively and regularly with internal and external audiences.
- Recognize and respond to regional, local and remote employee’s diversity needs, issues and initiatives.
- Continue to grow the Employee Resource Group (ERG) strategy and provide leadership and support to empower and strengthen our internal communities.
- Provide subject matter expertise, strategic planning, thought leadership, coaching, education and consultancy to leaders to drive key DI&B business outcomes.
- Work closely with the executive team to inform their personal leadership and organization strategy to advance function and company goals.
- Partner with People Analytics and Learning & Development Teams to measure the impact and effectiveness of belonging, inclusion, and diversity initiatives and our overall impact on culture and the Hubber experience.
- Influence our diversity, inclusion and belonging story collaboratively with our Communications Team.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to weave diversity, inclusion, and belonging into company objectives, including making a business case for systemic investments.
- Strong understanding and experience in HR practices, organization diagnostics and intervention strategies.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of the concepts related to diversity, belonging, inclusion, as well as the contexts and cultures within organizations that impact the implementation and management of effective change efforts.
- Demonstrated ability of developing a diversity, inclusion and belonging framework that connected to an organization’s mission and business strategy, and valued approaching problems from a perspective of growth and scalability.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency in the following: data analysis, interpersonal communication, consulting, facilitation, influencing and people leadership.
- Strong project/program management skills with a proven track record of demonstrated good judgment, innovative thought leadership, and creativity.
- Strong collaborator and influencer - ability to reach beyond immediate scope to influence and lead change initiatives with multiple senior stakeholders.
- Highly effective communicator and strategic thinker with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas, unique concepts, and proposals to enroll team, peers, and management. Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- A genuine belief in people and natural mentoring abilities with diverse individuals, ideas, and teams.
- A history of taking calculated risks, pushing your learning edge, showing up as a leader (even when doing so is hard), and motivating others to do the same.
- An ability to model vulnerability, own up to your limitations and mistakes and view feedback as a critical tool for learning and growth.
- A utility player and teammate; willing to help out wherever needed.
- Strategic mindset with a bias towards action and creative problem solving.
- Possess a mix of intellectual curiosity, creative thinking and pragmatism.
- Ability to identify issues and root cause; willingness to dive deep into details.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.