Reports to: Director of Audience Engagement
The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a collaborative, innovative leader to define the market and audience insight strategies critical to grow Wikipedia usage worldwide. In this role, you will work with Wikimedia Foundation communications, product, advancement, community, partnership, and research teams to identify global growth markets and key audience segments. You will transform these insights into global lifecycles and journeys, and actionable audience strategies to inform marketing campaigns.
As Senior Insights Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Driving growth in Wikipedia product usage across regions, languages, and cultures
- Leading the Audience Engagement Insights team responsible for the global marketing growth and audience insights plans, strategies, marketing campaign input, market penetration and audience engagement KPI measurements and SEO Google analytics and tagging strategy.
- Delivering a FY19/20 - FY20/21 market growth plan by partnering with internal Foundation partners and external market research agencies to establish benchmarks and identify future growth opportunities in global market penetration, emerging markets, and audience segmentation.
- Developing a well-defined audience segmentation strategy and plan for Foundation communications and product departments to leverage consistently in targeting, messaging , channel mix, contact management and experience journey creation.
- Creating relevant end-to-end experience life cycles by Audience to align all key components within each Wikipedia phase.
- Integrating the end-to-end journey with the product team UX for a seamless experience by audience, based on audience personas, UX, and end-to-end lifecycles.
- Providing Community audience insights by collaborating with Foundation Communications, Partnerships, and Community Engagement teams to obtain qualitative and quantitative learnings.
- Manage the team responsible for SEO tracking and quality checking all reporting data for accuracy to ensure sound information and recommendations. Working with SEO Keyword, Google analytics, internal technical and external vendors to design and operationalize an end-to-end optimized SEO and SEM strategy and process, complete with integrated tracking, reporting and QC daily.
- Preparing and distributing a scorecard and dashboard of key audience engagement team program reporting, to include goals and progress for new market growth, key audience and marketing campaign performance and fresh community and audience insights.
- Empower and develop your direct reports to manage the day-to-day programs and lead initiatives through opportunities you create.
- Partner with external global research firms, communications, product, research and community engagement peers to establish a streamlined process to gather audience insights and market penetration progress.
- Be an expert on our life cycle, growth markets, audience segments and communities
- Build a collaborative process to educate and update your partners on the life cycle, end-to-end experience, audience insights and strategies and emerging markets
- Keep projects on budget and on time
- Develop best practices for cultural inclusivity to ensure project work reflects diverse perspectives
- Have up-to-date knowledge of current events on all markets
- Participate in a community panel to receive insights and communicate our work.
- Have experience managing dashboards, resources and making recommendations
- Perform in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Experience building scorecard and dashboard reports utilizing multiple data sources
- Facility for communicating effectively from one-on-one to large groups
- Aptitude to manage through diplomacy
- A deep love for Wikipedia/Wikimedia, the joy of discovery, and empowering the expansion of free knowledge
- Global market experience
- Experience working with UX designers
- Audience segmentation strategy
- User persona development and implementation
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong team development and empowerment skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Sound judgement with proven ability to make objective data-based decisions
- Experience working with UX designers
- Audience segmentation strategy experience
- User persona development skills
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017