Status is the gateway to the decentralised web. We’re building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organisation, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community. Our core application, recently launched at v1 on Mobile and in beta on Desktop, is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, make payments and browse the decentralised web.
Who are we?
We're a remote team made up of ~60 core contributors and a growing number of community members scattered around the globe. We care deeply about open source software, and our organisational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organisation's priorities.
The project & role
We are looking for a highly technical product designer or design-minded engineer to join our Product design team. This is a full time, high impact role in which you will translate decentralised technology into simple, intuitive experiences. You will work across products, with a focus on key management, transaction experience and identity management.
- Distill complex features and workflows into simple, intuitive experiences
- Stay abreast of new developments in the Ethereum and Web3 space and filter trends from noise (e.g. EIPs, ETH2.0 progress) and assess the impact of developments and influence product roadmap accordingly
- Translate opportunities into designs through use case specifications, (flow) diagrams and wireframes and guide these designs from definition to delivery through all stages of product development. Ensuring timely feedback loops with all stakeholders
- Facilitate cross functional alignment with designers, developers and product managers to find elegant and creative solutions considering user experience, technical feasibility as well as technical and organisational constraints
- Collaborate with product designers to translate and fine tune wireframes into polished user interfaces and collaborate with developers to translate designs into implementation proposals and specifications
- Align with the design team to ensure an excellent end-to-end experience in support of key user goals: Pay, Chat, Browse, Manage
You ideally will have
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- +7 years of experience building digital products, including a track record of contributing to Ethereum
- An outspoken vision for the future of web3 that is in line with Status’ principles (https://our.status.im/our-principles/) and the ability to talk about this vision at a non-crypto party‒Getting people to stick around to hear more
- A talent of boiling complex ideas down into a simple crisp story with the right analogies & nuance (e.g. key management, zksnarks, sharding)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English) with an ability to explain your design decisions, the problem you are solving, your preferred solution and alternatives
- Familiarity with UI design as well as human centered design principles and processes, and a proven history of collaborating with product designers as demonstrated by your portfolio of design work or reference to products and your role in the design process
- Experience designing and/or developing a UI in the recent past, ideally for use on mobile
- A vision of what your role should be, and a history of carving out your own role; Either as a contractor or within a traditional organisation
- Ability to retain a birds-eye view across products and how they (might) interface with each other
- Experience and/or desire to work in a remote or distributed design team
- Living in, or comfortable working in, CET ± 4h
Bonus points if you
- Have a portfolio of talks and articles explaining core concepts of Ethereum
- Show a strong interest and experience in systems modelling (e.g. UML or more free format alternatives)
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with Pepper from our People Ops team
- Interview with Hester and Maciej from the Design team
- Interview with a Core contributor from the Engineering team
- Interview with Jarrad, CEO and Co-founder
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline. We’re looking for a Senior Web3 Product design architect (you?) to join the team as soon as possible, and we’re hoping to close the hiring process ideally by the end of March 2020.
Get to know us:
Find out about the Design team here: https://design.status.im/