Senior Software Engineer
Come join the Wikimedia Foundation’s Technology department! In this role you will be a technical collaborator for the Release Engineering Team. You’ll be joining the team that provides the development, testing, and deployment experience for all of our internal staff and external volunteer engineers.
Release Engineers care about the intersection of the developer experience and site reliability for Wikipedia, our other sites, and third party users of our open source platform, MediaWiki. Our team works remotely and so can you!
The Release Engineering team is a part of the larger Engineering Productivity group at the Wikimedia Foundation, with expertise on everything from testing practices to web performance.
- Deploy all 936 (as of Oct 2019) wikis, including Wikipedia
- Work towards improving the automation of our deployment process
- Move us towards continuous delivery
- Lead the effort on container-based tooling for MediaWiki application development and automated deployment
- Maintain Release Engineering production systems for our large developer user base (deployment, continuous integration, issue tracking, and code review)
- Integrate developer tooling into our continuous delivery pipeline
- Be a role model for effective and collaborative engineering practices
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Sufficient proficiency in both written and verbal communication in English to be understood in an asynchronous work environment
- Technical leadership experience
- Collaboration and consensus-making skills are as, if not more, important as technical skills
- Significant professional experience with systems/devops engineering and software
- Significant professional experience with continuous integration/deployment systems
- Professional experience with server configuration management software (professional experience with Puppet is a plus)
- Experience with virtualization or container technologies
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Professional experience with one or more of the following: Python, Go, PHP, Java
- Free culture/Free software experience
- Remote work experience
- You are inspired by our guiding principles and our mission
- Professional experience working with legacy software systems
- Familiarity with/involvement in the Wikimedia movement
- Located within the UTC+3–UTC-8 time zones for easier alignment with existing team mix
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation