As the Sr. Director, PMO for the Chief Operating Officer at GitHub, you will own and drive all program management needs and activities for the Office of the COO. You will be responsible for establishing a program management group including consistent methodology, industry best practices, and processes/systems to enable it. The right candidate will have the ability to both coordinate timelines, contingencies, and dependencies of work plans as well as communicate progress and drive decision-making at an executive level.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing and leading the project/program management office (PMO): The PMO is a ‘Centre of Excellence’ driving quality, consistency and oversight of projects across GitHub by developing and maintaining project management methodologies, standards and tools.
- Establishing GitHub’s approach to the full life cycle of projects: This includes everything from project planning, initiation, resourcing and execution to monitoring, control and completion.
- Ensuring the PMO meets performance targets: Align with the organization’s strategic objectives and adhere to best practices.
- Acting as a trusted strategic advisor: May work alongside business leaders to help determine which projects should be undertaken why and when, not just how.
- Act as the leader for GitHub’s COO Program Management Office (PMO)
- Recruit an exceptional group of program managers and bring them together as a high performance team
- Own and drive the governance and cadence to ensure program management backlog is managed adequately and resources are appropriately applied to projects
- Define and drive the strategy for program management tools, training, and methodologies across GitHub
- Work with executives to gain alignment on strategy and execution
- Conduct regular updates to COO and broader leadership team
- Align with the broader change management efforts for the transformation and ensure key priorities from the Office of the COO are incorporated appropriately
- Drive high level collaboration and coordination with various business functions or joint development efforts with external parties to facilitate the planning process, setting goals & milestones, and creation of comprehensive timelines taking into account available resources, dependencies, budget, priorities and other constraints.
- Define, capture, and action project and product risks
- Take ownership of tracking overall team progress and provide detailed management status reports, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Organize regular team meetings to monitor progress, track and mitigate risks, resolve/escalate issues, and review action items
- Generate the necessary documentation and assist teams with creating project plans, protocols, reports etc.
- Take ownership of hands-on management and tracking of overall team progress and provide detailed management status reports and updates
- Embody our ‘growth mindset’ leadership principle to drive continued improvement
Who you are:
- High energy and action-oriented. A history of getting things done in complex environments. Someone who can influence others and implement change and standardize processes. Have the energy level and results-orientation required to succeed in a high growth company.
- You have a self-starter mentality, yet a team player with a collaborative approach.
- You have integrity beyond reproach and the ethical soundness of a true leader.
- You possess superior analytical skills and particular attention to detail with good business judgment and exceptional maturity, diplomacy, and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- You are results-oriented with a strong work ethic. You are also tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches.
- 8+ years of project and program management experience and at least 3 years of people management experience
- You have expertise and proven leadership skills gained through a successful track record in executing on high visibility and mission-critical projects and programs
- Demonstrable experience hiring, mentoring and leading high performance teams. Ability to recruit and retain top industry talent.
- Ability to create a performance and metrics-focused culture.
- High energy and positive attitude.
- You are based on the West Coast of the US.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.