Mynd is a full-stack tech-enabled property management company for the small residential industry (single-family rentals and apartment buildings up to 49 units in size). This is a massive mom-and-pop industry that has never been scaled, and Mynd intends to be the first-to-scale. Today, Mynd manages 9,000 units in 16 markets and is rapidly growing nationwide.
By combining great talent with on-the-ground experts, data and our proprietary technology, Mynd delivers an unparalleled customer experience for both owners and residents. Offering best-in-class property management is a start but building an end-to-end investment platform is the north star. No company has ever been this dedicated to raising the bar in the industry to create happy homes and healthy investments for all. Headquartered in Oakland, Calif., Mynd has been named one of the 10 Best Tech Startups in Oakland by the Tech Tribune and is backed by leading venture capital firms, including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Canaan Partners, and Jackson Square Partners.
We’re always on the lookout for top talent. Mynd is not only made up of real estate professionals but also skilled individuals, across a wide variety of industries — there is no ideal employee build other than having a passion for active problem-solving and an impeccable work ethic. We seek those ready to hit the ground running, and those who want to join a team driven by data and by a great customer experience. Join us!
About the role:
The Mynd Staff Accountant will assist with the daily operations of its clients’ accounting & finance departments. This individual will be working closely with the Property Accountants and Property Accounting Managers to perform a variety of accounting duties involving preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying and reconciling financial transactions, statements, records and reports. This person will also maintain the accuracy of the general ledger and sub ledgers. Skills required to succeed in this role include strong accounting and communication skills - collaboration and communication is a key aspect of this position.
Outcomes you will achieve:
- Provide daily accounting functions for multiple regions
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial reports – prepare monthly journal entries, financial statement preparation/reconciliation, and bank reconciliations
- Assist in preparing monthly and ad hoc distributions to clients
- Review and maintain the accuracy of general ledgers
- G/L activity posting, Balance Sheet reconciliation and maintenance of subsidiary ledgers
- Monitor cash receipt postings, tenant billings, billing adjustments and perform tenant ledger reconciliations when necessary
- Review invoice coding and perform weekly check runs ensuring timely payments to vendors
- Assist in preparing annual 1099 and 1096 reporting to vendors and IRS
- Assist in preparing quarterly 592 and 588 forms to Franchise Tax Board on an as needed basis
- Ability to prepare additional schedules, which are required to support account balances or are specifically required by owners.
- Performs ad hoc assignments as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred
- Minimum of 1-2 years of Real Estate Accounting experience is preferred
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Adaptability – maintains effectiveness in varying environments, tasks and responsibilities, or with various types of people
- Ability to multitask - work successfully under pressure and effectively prioritize and manage time and workload to meet client needs
- Client Focus – dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of the external and internal client, establishes and maintains effective relationships with clients, and gains their trust and respect
- Dealing with Ambiguity – can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably, can decide and act without having the total picture, can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
- Drive for Results – can be counted on to exceed goals successfully, bottom line oriented, pushes self and others for results
- Microsoft office product knowledge, Excel and real estate accounting software preferred
- Demonstrated consistency in values, principles and work ethic
- Ability to work independently and within a team to build relationships and interact effectively with business partners
- Willingness to take on new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment