Infrastructure Product Manager
Wikipedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to drive improvements to Wikipedia that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Product Managers at Wikipedia work with engineers, designers, researchers and communities of users to build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to have a high level of positive impact, worldwide.
About the role
For this role, you will join our Product department’s Infrastructure team, a group dedicated to building and maintaining the shared capabilities that empower our feature development across platforms.
- Lead the iterative development of platform capabilities that will enhance the consumption of Wikipedia content: including push notifications across platforms, geospatial map functionality, and APIs supporting user-facing features
- Understand the needs of feature teams and platform constraints to effectively prioritize work for the development team
- Balance advancing multiple concurrent initiatives with required maintenance and the long term evolution of the platform
- Communicate product vision to internal and external partners, particularly to technical audiences
- Coordinate infrastructural change across teams
- Use both qualitative and quantitative methods to measure impact and guide prioritization
- Be a positive force for change!
- 2+ years’ of technical platform Product Management experience
- Experience working across frontend and backend teams to ship platform improvements that meet feature team needs and enable wide impact
- Ability to coordinate rollout of internal tools across platforms and across teams
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
It would be awesome if you have:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or relevant technical field or Equivalent work experience.
- Experience building new platform level features for a large multi-client platform
- Experience structuring semi-structured or unstructured data for new form factors or uses
- Experience building mobile-first and/or RESTful interfaces for mobile clients
- Experience working with large groups of active technical collaborators: community building, activism, product evangelism, or in open source movements
- Proficiency in more than one language
- Experience editing Wikipedia
- Experience with open source software development
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation