At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $108M to date.
About the team:
Design at Netlify is a continuous focus on customer outcomes. Our mission is to craft a unified experience through grounded customer insight, strategic exploration, and strong partnerships.
We're a growing world-class team set out on a journey to empower the front end developer in new and unique ways. We appreciate contributors who think deeply, speak clearly, love collaboration, seek feedback, and have a solid collection of animated gifs! You'll be working closely with other researchers, designers, and data analytics teams to help our users at the center of your process and balance near term and long term initiatives that drive the world closer to realizing a more modern and performant web.
About the opportunity:
User research is a growing team, generating new and useful user insights, working closely with product managers, designers, sales, and engineering to iteratively improve Netlify for our users.
We're looking for someone comfortable using a broad range of generative methods, and works as a strong partner and collaborator within a cross-functional setting. You have excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to quickly develop actionable insight based on quantitative and qualitative evidence.
You will need to be confident in explaining user needs to your colleagues across the company, and acting as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and to management. You will be able to introduce user research practices to a team, establish a user-centered culture, and continually monitor and improve practices.
Some of the things you'll do:
- Partner with other Researchers, Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, and other cross-functional teammates to provide research that identifies the needs of developers.
- Align evaluative research activities to inform decision-making and action
- Design, schedule, and moderate usability tests in concert with product stakeholders
- Rapidly synthesize data and share findings with those on the web design, marketing, and data analytics teams
- Assist with A/B testing, synthesis, and read outs
- Assist with organizing and storing research-based usability knowledge and providing insights
- Work with product stakeholders to test business requirements using heuristic/qualitative methods
- Work with teams to ideate on design solutions based on research findings
- Ensure a consistent look and feel across the product, in conjunction with design
- Educate team members on the use of new tools and best practices
- Manage participant recruiting, participant followups, and incentives disbursement for all studies
- Effectively communicate findings and recommendations to product teams and stakeholders that surface recommendations and implications
We are looking for someone who:
- You have proficiency in survey design, data analysis (qualitative and quantitative), discussion guide writing, and interview moderating
- You have experience scoping, planning, and executing usability research studies, with minimal support and guidance
- You have experience in research operations including managing a participant database and setting up studies
- You have solid presentation skills and the ability to tailor the message to various audiences (product teams, product managers, fellow researchers, leadership, etc.)
- You have strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- You have strong cross-team collaboration skills
- You have strong analytical problem-solving skills
- You have the ability to translate research findings into actions and recommendations, while considering company and product goals
- You have experience in an agile software environment
- You have experience working in a user research role
- Familiarity with developer tooling and the community around it
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Learn about the business, where we're headed, and what makes developers tick
- Learn about our customer segments and what drives their respective behaviors
- Get to know the design team and your product management, engineering peers
- Get involved in design team activities like design critiques, weekly syncs, and squad planning meetings.
- Wrap your head around ongoing mission critical initiatives that help differentiate Netlify in the market.
- Learn about the tools, systems, and processes we use to craft experiences at Netlify
- Start working with the product teams to develop appropriate research strategies to understand user needs and continually test and improve the service.
- Present first time observations about the team, tools, processes, and growth opportunities.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Plan, design, prepare, and run evaluative usability research studies on existing features that can provide business impact
- Recruit and organize participant cohorts based on strategic themes
- Run usability tests in collaboration with cross functional partners.
- Establish strong async communication channels with your peers and leaders
- Practice transparency and visibility in your learning and areas of focus
- Partner with designers and engineers to run contextual and discovery research that develops a deep understanding of the needs of all users of the product.
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other researchers, product designers, and teammates in your product team.
- Support your team with thoughtful feedback and help shape the way we tell customer experience stories at Netlify.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Working closely with designers and developers to turn user research findings into stories and actions that lead to valuable product features.
- Help prepare and run A/B tests in collaboration with cross functional peers
- Demonstrate that you're able to wrangle input from multiple stakeholders in order to arrive at a viable research plan.
- Demonstrate ability to organize around multiple ongoing steams of work.
- Challenge existing customer success metrics and push for proper tooling and baselines.
- Fortify relationships with cross functional players across squads.
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Manage the usability and accessibility testing process from recruiting participants, designing test tasks, and preparing discussion guides, to test moderation, analysis, and presenting results.
- Contribute to team retros and help evolve the way we design and build products at Netlify.
- Help bridge and orchestrate experience efforts between pods and departments.
- Manage logistics across a portfolio of research programs to help ensure preparation for work and efficient turn around for product needs
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.